Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Vegetables!


So, for anyone who knew me as a child, you know that I've never been a huge fan vegetables. Wait -- that wasn't just when I was a child; I didn't really start liking vegetables until about six months ago. There, I've confessed. What turned me on to them, you might ask? I think it all probably started with a dinner at our friends' the Coxs' (alright guys - when you add an 's' to your name do you add an 'e' too - like "Coxes"? I'm so confused.). Anyway, they were kind enough to invite us over for dinner sometime in the fall, and we had some roasted carrots that I thought were delicious, which was absolutely shocking for me. I got the recipe from Casey, and it turns out that they're pretty easy to make. Ok, skip ahead to Thanksgiving, when I have the idea (surely not original) to use this same recipe but with sweet potatoes because I remember having sweet potato fries at Guru's in Provo and simply devouring them. Well, they were a big hit at Thanksgiving dinner. Now skip ahead again to when I started the Serotonin Power Diet (SPD) in January of this year. I really wanted to do this diet, but it proscribes eating about 4 cups of veggies a day. Yikes. I decided it was time to bite the bullet and find ways to eat veggies that don't make me gag. Mission: accomplished. My family has been rather amazed at the new leaf I seem to have turned over (ha . . ha . . ha . . sorry for the pun), and my sister asked that I post some of my vegetable recipes. Boy did I feel like I'd arrived when someone was asking ME for vegetable recipes. Who am I these days?? Anyway, here are the ones I really like!

Oven Roasted Sweet Potatoes (not the recipe from my friend, but a good one nonetheless!)

1-1/4 lb. sweet potatoes (about 3)
1/4 cup KRAFT Tuscan House Italian Dressing and Marinade (you can also use the lower-fat versions "Light House Italian")
2 Tbsp. KRAFT Grated Parmesan Cheese

HEAT oven to 400ºF.

Prick each potato several times with fork. Microwave on HIGH 2 to 3 min. or just until sliceable but not soft. Cut into spears. Toss with dressing and cheese. Place on foil-lined cookies sheet and bake 30 min. or until potatoes are tender.
From: Kraft Foods


Asian Salad
* 2 (3 ounce) packages ramen noodles, crushed
* 1 cup blanched slivered almonds
* 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
* 1 head napa cabbage, shredded (or maybe two)
* 1 bunch green onions, chopped
* 1/4 cup vegetable oil
* 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar (or rice vinegar)
* 1/3 cup white sugar
* 2 tablespoons soy sauce

1. Spread noodles, almonds and sesame seeds on a cookie sheet and toast at about 300 degrees until brown (maybe 5 min.?).
2. In a small saucepan bring vegetable oil, sugar, and vinegar to boil for 1 minute. Cool. Add soy sauce. Chill in the frig before serving (I chilled it for about an hour, but I don't think it makes too much difference)
3. In a large bowl , combine shredded napa cabbage and chopped green onions. Add the noodle and soy sauce mixture. Toss to coat. Serve.
From: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Asian-Salad/Detail.aspx


Oven-Roasted Parsnips
* 1 1/2 lbs parsnips, peeled and julienned [be sure to remove woody cores if they are large parsnips]
* 3 tablespoons olive oil
* 2 pinches cayenne (to taste)
* 1/4 teaspoon sea salt (or more, to taste)
* 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced

Preheat oven to 450-degrees. Put the parsnips in a plastic food bag, add the oil, garlic and seasoning, then give it a good shake to make sure they are covered evenly. Then, place on foiled lined cookie sheet and sprinkle the cayenne (or just black pepper) over the parsnips. Bake in oven for 15 minutes on bottom rack. Flip parsnips over and sprinkle with more pepper and cook for an additional 15 minutes.
From: http://www.recipezaar.com/Oven-Roasted-Parsnips-17407


Ham, Potato and Leek Soup Recipe

* 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
* 4 cups thinly sliced leeks, white and light green parts only
* 4 cups chicken broth
* 2 large russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
* 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
* 2 cups ham, diced
* 1/4 cup cream or half and half (optional)
* Salt to taste
* 3 Tbsp fresh parsley, chives or dill, chopped

1 Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the leeks, cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add chicken broth, potatoes and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium high heat.
2 Reduce heat; cover and simmer 25 minutes or until vegetables are very tender. Using a blender or food processor, working in batches, process until smooth.
3 Stir in diced ham and cream. Season to taste with salt. Garnish with parsley, chives or dill.
Serves 4.
From: http://elise.com/recipes/archives/004310ham_potato_and_leek_soup.php


Easy Veggie Stir-Fry

2 carrots
2 yellow squash
1 medium onion
¾ c. chicken broth
½ Tbsp. sugar
Thyme
Sage

Slice carrots and squash very thin and slice onions into medium pieces. Cook on high heat for a few minutes, then turn down to Medium-ish and add chicken broth, sugar, thyme and sage. Let simmer for 10 minutes or so or until broth is absorbed into veggies.
Made by me


I've been trying to pick a different vegetable each week to try out (not that Mom and Dad didn't make me try things as a kid, but I believe that my, er, pallet has matured a bit). This week I tried a recipe with canned wax beans, but it didn't turn out so hot, so I'm going to have to find another. It's been fun trying new stuff out.

My new junk food is corn on the cob. Pick up your jaws, everyone.

Thanks for reading a super long post about vegetables, and for indulging me in how excited I am to be eating good food :).

6 comments:

Sara said...

I think saying you didn't like veggies was a bit of an understatement. LOL! I love these recipes. I will have to try a few.

Tiffany said...

yay!! Maybe I should follow your advice. Not that I hate veggies, it just I don't really love them either. :) Thanks for the recipes!

SharonB said...

Miracles never cease. You eat parsnips? I don't think I've ever had one. You look fantastic by the way! Love you kiddo!
shar-bear

Casey said...

Hurrah! Glad to hear I was part of your turning point. Vegetables are awesome, and when you go out to CA, I'm sure you can find some good produce stands by the edge of the road or farmers markets. They'll be better than ever!

Also, you're right: it's "Coxes", for those who are grammatically inclined. :)

Hope you guys travel safe.

Brook said...

I AM FLOORED. And excited. I'm glad you've finally "seen the light" - your recipes look yummy too! I gather there is still a reticence with regards to raw fruits and veggies, but who knows? Perhaps that too will pass.

We were just in San Diego over Memorial Day Weekend. Gorgeous! Way better than L.A. weather. We'll have to look you guys up next time we come down.

Oh, and thanks for the very flattering post. :) I've been going back and re-reading it periodically as a pick-me-up. Seriously.

Amy said...

I LOVE the fries at Guru's. They're absolutely amazing. These look like amazing recipes! I have to say the parsnips sound a little scary but I guess I used to hate tomatoes and now I love them so who knows?