Monday, August 27, 2007

The Weekend


Well, we had quite the eventful weekend. On Saturday we went up to Washington D.C. with Ben (Mike's brother-in-law) and checked out the sights. Or shall I see, almost got heat stroke? Yes, that's more accurate! I felt like I was in Egypt again. It was probably only about 95, but the humidity was such that we soaked through to the skin just by walking down the sidewalk. Gotta love the East Coast, right? We are looking forward to going back when we can . . enjoy . . things more :). We were able to walk by the Capitol Bldg., Washington and Lincoln Memorials, the White House, and we even did a brief stint through the National Gallery of Art, although I'll admit that all we saw was what was between the front doors and the nearest drinking fountain. After quite the day, we headed back to Stafford, VA to drop off Ben and got some good Mexican food. We were encouraged that perhaps we can find some good Mexican here after all. Well, as if a day of extreme heat were not enough, while we were driving home and it was getting very dark on the country roads, we ran into what seemed like an inland hurricane --- no joke. We had torrential rains, high wind, and water at one point almost up to the top of our wheels. We had to pull off twice because we couldn't see more than 10 feet in front of us. Needless to say, while it took an hour and 45 minutes to get to Stafford, it took over 2 and a half hours to get back. Ugg. We decided we will try to never drive long distances after dark here, especially in August. Anyway, although the day was one of extremes, we still had a good time and saw some very cool stuff!

On another note, when we got home Saturday night and checked the mail, I found my Teaching Certificate had come. That's right, after 2 years of taking classes and jumping through hoops, I'm now certified! Yeah!! Certified teacher or certified crazy, sometimes I can't tell, but I'm really excited to be official now. I've included a picture :).

Thank you everyone for your love and support as we've been trying to get settled here and figure things out; we are very grateful!

0 comments: