Tuesday, June 24, 2008

I'm sorry Doctor, but WHAT did you say?

So I'm about 36 1/2 weeks pregnant now, and I had a doctor's appt. today. I asked them to measure the baby to get an estimate of how much he weighs (they do this through an ultrasound). The doctor first came up with 8.5 lbs, but she said that she knew that one of the measurements had been way off, so he's probably actually only about 7.5 lbs. ONLY???? Holy cow! I was expecting something around 6ish, since they say that at this point they can gain half a pound a week. Alas, I'm not dilated at all or anything, so it doesn't look like I'll be evicting him anytime soon, but when he does come he's gonna be a doozy! Of course my family can attest to the fact that I was a tub-o-lard when I was born (pushing 9 lbs.), and apparently Mike was around 8, so we shouldn't be too surprised :). The doctor did say that the measurement could be as much as 30% off at this point, but he sure FEELS big.

Anyway, maybe this wouldn't have come as such a shock to some of you more experienced mothers, but I was sure surprised!

2 comments:

Sara said...

Honestly, they tend to be off more on the lesser side of the weight. Don't worry you will survive no matter what the size. Enjoy your last few weeks. Tid-bit I had George and Jack at exactly 37 weeks. :)

Rob and Juliann said...

Don't worry about the size of the kid. Just get and epidural so you don't feel him coming out! Oh and lots of percoset afterwards!