Hi,
So it's been quite a while since we posted (as is the norm), but I was having a reflective moment, so I thought I'd drop cyberspace a line. Here goes.
I'm on a diet that I really like, which I've told a few of you about. It's called the Serotonin Power Diet, and it works with helping your body create more Serotonin, which is the chemical in your brain that creates feelings of well-being (as well as feelings of being full). Especially for people like me who are on anti-anxiety meds, Serotonin is a very important thing. Anyway, it's been a really good past three weeks, with normal ups and downs, but I feel like I'm gaining a much healthier perspective on life and food and what makes me happy. As my dad would quote Martha Stewart as saying "It's a good thing."
Being a full-time Mom is "the best of times and the worst of times." I'll be darned if I could love that kid any more than I do. He fascinates and frustrates. He makes me crazy and crazy happy. I keep waiting for the honeymoon period to wear off, but every day I still love him. Thank goodness. The downside is that I can't go to things I want to go to, I can't spend hours on one project. I just heard about a lecture at the law school that I want to go to, but I don't think it will work with the kiddo. And that's ok. There will be a time and a place for that, even if it's not now. There are plenty of things that I DO get to do because of him, such as go on walks whenever I want or spend an hour roaming a thrift store as many days a week as I please, or play peek-a-boo and hear him laugh.
I'm ok with life as it is. There are plenty of things I could (and do) complain about, but overall it's pretty good. There are things I want that I can't have and things I don't want that are forced upon me. But when is life ever not a series of forces acting upon and around us? What matters is how we deal with those forces and what expression we wear when we lay down to bed at night. I rarely go down without a smile.
11 years ago
7 comments:
Oh Becca! I'm sure you are doing a great job being a mom. One time I heard my friend tell her daughter, "you NEED this toy? All you really NEED is love and food" I always reflect back to her saying that. You're doing a great job.
Your perspective on life is amazing and you are finding the peace and joy of being a mom. Life grows and differs as your children grow and change.
I think Casey felt very much the same way after getting married to me - not being able to do all the things that she wanted to do. I'm sure she could empathize with you a lot.
If you ever need someone to watch Jack while the two of you get away (or just you get away), let us know.
Thanks for all of your sweet comments :). Watch out Brady, we might take you up on that . . .
If I lived nearby I would be fighting with you for Jack's attention, which is why it's probably a good thing I don't live nearby (but that's the ONLY good thing about it).
You are a great mom, Bec. Love you...
Great post, Becca. You really have a great attitude. I miss you!
Very well put. I think every mom feels that way sometimes. The joys are very much worth the struggle.
Post a Comment