Friday, June 14, 2013

The Story: Part 2 of 3




The much anticipated Part 2 of 3 (see previous post for Part 1 . . .) ;^)

The previous post left off as we started to describe the multi-faceted approach to healing that we've been taking over the last six months or so.  Number one was the GFCF diet.  And here continues the list :).

2.  Detoxification & Homeopathic remedies (in the form of drops and vitamins/minerals/algae –yum -- )  I will be the first one to admit that I don’t completely understand this entire process, and what I do understand I generally fail miserably at explaining.  So, here are a few paragraphs from a website that I felt explain it well:

Toxic chemicals and pollutants get into our bodies all the time.  For example, many of us have dental fillings of mercury amalgam that were considered harmless when they were put in.  Now we know better.

The body eliminates toxins naturally all the time through the kidneys and the colon.  But many toxins imitate nutritional minerals and hormones and get into the cell walls, bones and ligaments.  Some toxins can even fit into hormone receptor sites on cell surfaces.  When this happens, normal elimination doesn't work efficiently and the healthy functions of these tissues are damaged.  As toxic poisoning increases, tissues and cells stop functioning well. 
  So the upshot is this:  You do what you can to rid your cells of toxins, and then they will function better, and you will be healthier, in a multitude of ways.  To do this, you ingest substances that are known to help your cells release those toxins, and you also take substances (“binders” if you will) that will then grab onto those toxins and escort them out of your body (so that they don’t end up circling back and being taken up again into your kidneys/colon.  Yes, the whole process is just as delightful as it sounds . . . J.  So, we’ve been taking all sorts of things to help this process along, as well as some other vitamin/mineral supplements to target brain recovery. 

3.  Cleaner eating  We have cut out a lot of those things that you often hear bad stuff about but that you pretend not to hear because thinking of cutting those things out is just too painful.  Well, it is indeed painful, but it is also doable and worth it, in my opinion at least.  So we’ve cut out or cut down on high fructose corn syrup, most soy, some corn, dyes, msg, artificial sweeteners, diet soda, etc.  Yes, that means we eat very little processed foods, and that I bake a LOT. 

4.  Essential oils  Again, I really suck at explaining this stuff, so here’s a quote from a book I have on essential oils (Modern Essentials): 
Essential oils are the volatile liquids that are distilled from plants (including their respective parts such as seeds, bark, leaves, stems, roots, flowers, fruit, etc.)

Essential oils embody the regenerating oxygenating, and immune-strengthening properties of plants.

Essential oils are so small in molecular size that they can quickly penetrate the skin.

Essential oils are lipid soluble and are capable of penetrating cell membranes, even if they have hardened because of an oxygen deficiency.  In fact, essential oils can affect every cell of the body within 20 minutes and then be metabolized like other nutrients.

Essential oils contain oxygen molecules that help to transport nutrients to the starving human cells.

When I was first introduced to them, I kind of had this vision of putting olive oil all over my body.  Yuck.  The reality is so much better!  Basically, they come in little bottles, each one distilled from a different plant, and you put a drop or two on the soles of your feet (where the pores are big and can soak up the oils quickly) or on whatever part of your body is hurting.  Or, you can sniff them [read: I’m huffing essential oils] or diffuse them in something that looks like a miniature version of that vaporizer you had in your room when you were like nine and your coughing sounded like a freight train.  Also, there are many of them that you can swallow (you put drops of them in a little capsule and swallow that).  The great thing about essential oils is that they are fast-acting (10-15 minutes before you start feeling better), they are effective (for reals, these things actually work, as if they were drugs!), and they won’t gunk up your cells.  What do we use them for?  Colds, itches, headaches, nausea, allergies, bad moods, rashes, infections, yada yada yada. 

5.  Detoxifying our personal care products  Since we started using essential oils and realized how much is absorbed through your skin, what naturally followed was a “duh” moment, when I thought “Wait a minute, if the oils can get into my body, then so can everything else that I put on my skin.”  Then I remembered all of the toxins/metals/chemicals that I am trying to get OUT of my body and figured I shouldn’t be putting them right back in.  So, we’re working on switching over to some more natural things (soaps, cleaners, etc.).  I’ve scoured Pinterest (it was a tough job, but someone had to do it, right?) for all kinds of DIY recipes for these kinds of things and have found some winners.

6.  Less use of pharmaceuticals  Part of the chemicals that can build up in your body can actually come from drugs that you take (see how bad I am at making that sound legit?  Just because I can’t explain it the right way doesn’t mean it’s not true, just remember that!).  As such, I’m trying to dial down my usage of pharmaceuticals; I’m using essential oils to control allergies and headaches and am in the process of weaning off my meds for the OCD/anxiety. 

7.  Rebuilding the flora of the gut  Along with taking out the gunky stuff, you also want to put back in some good bacteria.  To do this you can take acidophilus or other probiotics, etc.  I’ve been making and drinking kefir water.  I have yet to ever enjoy drinking it, but I’m getting better at finding ways not to gag J.  My parents did an impressively good job of instilling in me the value of doing something, even if it’s tough.  Can you tell?



Sometimes I feel like all of this is just a big balancing act.  The more you read about things that can “hurt” you, the more things you feel like you should change.  But you know what?  You can’t make all those changes overnight, and some of them will never be made at all.  For instance, I’m fully aware that it would be better for us to eat fully organic food, but that’s just not something we’re spending money on right now.  I also think we probably shouldn’t use the microwave as much as we do or eat hot dogs too much or use all white sugar or drink unfiltered water – so many things!  But it’s just not feasible to make all those changes right now, and maybe not ever, and I’m ok with that.  I’m ok with just doing what we can and what works for us.  We do what we can and balance it with our personal happiness and even with convenience (refer back to personal happiness).  

1 comments:

Steph said...

I'm impressed. What a task you have undertaken, and I'm you have seen such positive results. You should write a book about it all. I'm sure it would be helpful to other families.