Ok, I know you've all been on the edge of your seats, waiting for the final installment of this exciting story, so here you go :). Thank you for listening :).
_____________________________________________________________________
Daily Life
So what does this all look like in our house? Well, I’ve been sick off and on since
November, which has not been lovely. In
fact, I felt like I was pregnant, which I was not (lots of nausea, headaches,
etc.). Turns out the symptoms of
detoxing are very close to those of being pregnant (there are reasons for that
of course, but that’s a topic for another day).
Oh joy joy. Here’s the good news
though. About February, I started having
days and then a full week at a time where I felt like my SPD was just gone –
hardly any symptoms of it at all. This
has propelled me into sticking with all of these changes we’ve made. In May I started feeling even better mentally/sensorily
(read: it’s been freaking amazing!). The
nature of all of this is that you take two steps forward and one step
back. So during the whole process, I’ll
feel exceptional for a few days and then not so great for a day. Soon that turned into exceptional for a week
and then not so great for a few days, and I expect it to continue on a pattern
like this.
Along with the abating of
symptoms of the SPD and OCD, I’ve also noticed some other great changes that
have happened:
*Less cravings: Umm, yeah, all my life I’ve been in love with
sugar, and while I still love sugar, I just don’t crave it as much. I feel like I actually have that “stop eating”
reflex now, whereas before that never really liked to kick in. From what I understand, the serotonin in your
body is responsible for giving that “stop eating” reflex, and in people with
OCD, your brain does not have enough serotonin.
So I’m thinking that my serotonin production has increased (or at least
the uptake of it has decreased).
*Hormonal changes: Yeah, I’m not going to go into detail here,
but let’s say that many things have changed for the better.
*Skin changes: It just looks healthier, and so do my nails,
which are generally an indicator of health.
And what about Jack? Oh, he’s doing great. Mr. “I only eat toast, cereal, milk, and
cheese” has turned into Mr. “I love broccoli, rice milk, mixed foods, and
gluten free muffins”. Of course he’s
still a big fan of hot dogs and (GFCF) pizza, cookies, etc., but he’s become
much more willing to try things, such as stuff that’s a little spicier or
crunchier or mushier or different looking.
And instead of full body tantrums about not wanting to eat something, he
offers a little resistance and then generally gives in fairly easily. He’s also being a lot more flexible. That is to say, he’s willing to do things a
little differently or to give in to Eli’s crazy notions or to just not flip out
whenever something happens that he doesn’t like. Hallelujah.
He’s also become more dependent about things – truly interested in
putting his own shoes on, doing up his carseat, etc. I think he’s feeling more confident in
himself.
Most of what I’ve said has been
about Jack and I, but I need to give credit where credit is due. Mike has been very patient and willing to try
new things and willing to put in the time to do this whole process. It’s really hard to jump into this whole
alternative medicine thing because it’s not as easily backed by decades upon
decades of statistics and readily available R & D (although more is coming
out all the time about the effectiveness of these types of treatment plans). This has been a real trial of faith, and
while I’ve been able to quickly see the changes that have happened, since they’ve
been in my own body, Mike has just taken my word for it and put his energy and
his tastebuds and his pocketbook into it.
There will never be a better husband than him, of that I am sure. He has put up with dinners that were total
bombs, a sick detoxing wife, and all manner of things, all the time trusting
that it was for the best. He is the best
thing in my life and has been from day one.
The overarching theme of the last six months or so? The
proof is in the pudding. What we are
doing is changing how our bodies work, whether or not we understand why or how. I cannot refute that. So even for all of the ugliness that has been
involved in the process and all the back-and-forth of feeling good and feeling
rotten, I wake up every day knowing that my body is functioning better than it
used to, and so is Jack’s. And that is a
beautiful thing.
2 comments:
I didn't know you were doing this whole process for so long! That must take some real self control to avoid all the good things to eat. :)
I loved reading your story! I'm glad things are working out so well and that you're starting to see the blessings from all of your hard work! I also enjoy your excellent writing style. Each time I read a part of the story I could just picture you and Jack in your old living room during visiting teaching a few years ago. Great memories!
Post a Comment