No, my ugly, waddling, pregnancy belly did not break a mirror :). But, I do feel like perhaps we've broken one recently or maybe crossed a black cat the wrong way or done something else to bring us bad karma. For posterity (and sick entertainment), I thought I'd do a quick listing of all of the things that have gone wrong (or have just been odd) with our move. Here goes:
Shipping the car costs nearly $200 more than originally planned
Drivers of car shipping truck are a strange pair of older brothers, one of whom makes a comment about my pregnancy "jugs" (comment made to my FATHER, no less)
Moving company tells me we have to be at the apt. (we were at a hotel by this point) at 7am (I talked them up from 6); they arrive at 8am, no apologies
The head mover (i.e. the chief mover, not a mover who moves heads) has a mullet and a mohawk; AWESOME
It's obvious that the movers are not late because they took the time to shower
I come downstairs to find one of the movers trying to get the bolt off of the spring on our glass screen door, using a ROCK
My mom discovers than one of the movers stole one of her rather expensive drinks (non-alcoholic folks) from our frig, leaving behind some nice dirty fingerprints
Movers inform us that although our contract specifically states otherwise, we will have to pay an extra $1200 beyond our highest estimate to move our stuff
I spend hours on the phone trying to get someone from the moving company to actually read the plain English of the contract and realize that they're wrong
All of our flights our delayed, and we spend a night in Denver before arriving in UT
After scores of phone calls, customer service reps flat out lying, and at least two notable emotional breakdowns, we decide to just pay the bogus amount that they are demanding from us so that the movers don't hold our furniture hostage, which they threatened to do
Mike spends a lot of time on the road between UT and CA because of the insane car rental contract that was cheap for the original time period we wanted but then ended up being very, very expensive the moment we needed to make any changes to it
Mike leaves his driver's license in UT and gets all the way to Vegas before discovering he's left it
I Fed-Ex his driver's license, to the tune of $46.98, overnight priority with Saturday delivery
Saturday comes and goes and Mike's license is nowhere to be seen; Fed-Ex THINKS but is not certain that it was on an "overlooked" pallet in the Oakland Airport
MONDAY morning Mike gets his license (we will get a refund for the price of shipping it, but not for how much extra we had to pay in rental car fees because he couldn't return the car when he was supposed to and pick up his new rental since he had no license)
Mike stops to fill up the gas tank on the rental car before returning it, and the gas station he goes to has turned off the gas for 5 minutes. Excuse me??
For the first time ever, we go over on our cell phone minute usage and must resort to borrowing landlines
My phone's ringer stops functioning entirely
Believe it or not, I believe there are actually more things that I've forgotten! Can you say BAD LUCK? Crazy, crazy, crazy. Oh, and through all of this Jack has been getting 4 teeth, had a bad cold, and had a really hard time adjusting to moving around so much. And did I mention that Mike and I will have been apart for the better part of 2 1/2 weeks by the time this is all over?
Now, the highlights have definitely been the immense help we've received from both of our families, the shoulders I've cried on, the comforting emails I've gotten from friends old and friends new, and Hotwire.com's customer service reps who saved us over $200 a few days ago. Thank you everyone who's loved us and not shunned us for our bad luck; I hope it's not a spreading disease!
11 years ago
6 comments:
Wow. I was trying to tell Ben everything that happened to you guys and we both can't believe what horrible luck you've had! Oye. I know a witch (true) so if you want her to do a spell on ya let me know.
I'll get back to you about the witch, Emily -- I might consider it . . . ;)
Crazy! I am so sorry that things have not gone better. It is only up from here right? Maybe a really easy labor? Miss you already!
Wow. Hope you all get settled in soon.
Wow, I'm so sorry you had to go through that. I hope you are home and settled and all of this is behind you. It still makes me cringe thinking about our move across the country...
So, when you mentioned when we were all in Salt Lake that you had had some problems with the move, I had NO IDEA what you had to go through! (I also might have been a little too preoccupied to ask follow-up questions...sorry). I'm glad you all made it to San Diego safe. Love you all!
Post a Comment