Sorry it's been such a long hiatus from posting on our blog. Did you expect any better, given past performance? Alas, we've been kind of really super busy. My manicures take up sooooo much time, and if I could just get Mike off the golf course for ten minutes, then maybe we could find the time to blog. Oh wait -- that's not what we've been up to at all! I've been adjusting to being a stay-at-home mom to two kids (one of which demands to be fed for almost a full hour, every three hours), and Mike has been working his tail off at the firm. Even though we are insanely occupied with so many things, we have still found time to fall completely in love with little Eli.
Things are different with two kids, let's just say that. In fact, in my head has been brewing a list of how my life has changed since October 16th. Here goes:
Things I cannot do anymore:
Use a public restroom -- Jack has an irrational fear of bathroom stalls, and it's pretty hard to wrangle him, take care of Eli, and go potty at the same time, not to mention fitting all three of us in a stall.
Make weeknight dinners that require a lot of chopping -- there are certain things you can do with a baby in your arms or in a front-pack, but chopping vegetables is pretty difficult
Get a lot done during naptime -- for awhile there, both boys took decent naps at around the same time, but that was but a fleeting glimpse of heaven, it seems; right now I'm getting about 20 minutes a day when they're both asleep, except for at night
Run more than two errands a day -- I can always bribe Jack in some way to get him to behave through a slew of errands, but it's hard to bribe a two-month-old!
Expect to be all "done-up" -- well, let's be honest, this has never been my strong suit, but at least I often had my toenails painted, legs shaved, and eyebrows plucked at the same instant; now there's such a large interval between when I get around to those things, that by the time I've painted my toenails, the legs need shaving, etc. But, I really don't care :).
Things I can now do:
Sport the minivan with less shame -- I feel way less lame now that I have two kids in it, although driving it probably adds about 10 years to my age (which according to some people means I now look like I'm 25 instead of 15; I'm 28)
Entertain Jack, nurse Eli, and go to the bathroom at the same time (at home of course) -- this is sometimes a necessity!
Draw planes, nurse Eli, and check my email at the same time -- tricky, but doable, although you can forget about responding to emails, since that requires more use of your hands, and much to my dismay I still only have two of those
Relax about things like sleep-training and scheduling -- while I'm still trying to keep Eli on some sort of a loose napping schedule, I know that what I did with Jack is just not going to happen with Eli because I've got a two-year-old to take care of too. And that's ok.
Cut myself some slack -- when I've had a hard day, I turn on the tv for Jack, nuzzle up with Eli and stop trying to accomplish anything. I feel ok about this.
Say things like "Oh yes, he {Eli} is very sweet, AND I have a two-year-old" -- this always elicits looks of pity and admiration, as if I'm working on achieving world peace or something. Sometimes it's good to have people think you're a cool (or perhaps crazy) girl.
Fully love two kids -- I was skeptical about being able to love another child as much as I love Jack (although I dare say my love for him has waned recently as he's progressed from the "terrible twos" to the "utterly irritating and most terrible twos" stage). But, I can see now that it's possible, and I will love them both because of their differences and their similarities.
Be assured that together, Mike and I can do anything -- Ok, so I actually hadn't doubted this, but starting to raise another child together has once again proven to me his patience, his love, his insight, his devotion, and his overall goodness. I don't know how I would do anything without him.
In summary, it's been tough, but we're ok. We've had lots of help and many blessings. We have good days and bad days, but at the end of every day, we're glad to have two wonderful, healthy children. Just don't be looking for #3 to be coming anytime soon!
11 years ago
4 comments:
You go girl! I just loved reading that post. You are hilarious. I especially love that you have nursed while going to the bathroom... and entertaining a child. So funny! Sounds like you have really gotten the hang of things. When Isaac was 6 weeks old, I was finally able to feel like being a mom of two was completely doable. There is definitely a learning curve involved. Anyway, keep the posts coming. I love hearing about what you are up to now... and your posts always manage to make me laugh!
Oh, Bec, these are the cutest boys in the whole world. I can't stand being away from them. Give them lots of hugs and kisses from Grandma O. (And, by the way, you will be happy that I taught Jack to wipe his hands on his shirt when he wears the new apron I made him for Christmas, cause then he will wipe on the apron.)
I hope to someday have privacy while using the bathroom:) I loved this post Becca. Just making it through the day sometimes is the best thing that I can accomplish. 2 errands in one day? You are a superhero!
Sounds familiar! I'm glad you guys are doing so well! I agree, it's fun to be able to tell people you have two kids, kind of a self-pat on the back, (whether or not that's prideful, I'm not sure!)We've watched significantly more "mooowies," lately and I also get only about 20 minutes of overlapped nap time. (Actually, now Calvin doesn't nap much at all, and sometimes doesn't stay in bed until 10, ugh!) But, I am thoroughly impressed with your bathroom/nursing/entertaining abilities. I'm reeaally holding on to the idea that going from 1 to 2 is the hardest kid transition....please let this be true! Merry Christmas and I hope it's the best one ever with your even more complete Family! (PS We miss you and Jack...someone, I think Hailey or Allison, was just saying the other day about how cute Jack is when we were talking about kids named Jack.)
Post a Comment